Accessibility Features To Make A Inclusive World
--by rajeshpmenon, posted Aug 20, 2017
As I had mentioned earlier the inclusion theme is very much closer to my heart. I really dream of a world where any person with disability is able to live like a normal person. I have taken the following steps so far to understand the need for Visually and Hearing impaired people (VI & HI).
1. JAWS, Job Access With Speech, is the world's most popular screen reader, developed for computer users whose vision loss prevents them from seeing screen content or navigating with a mouse. JAWS provides speech and Braille output for the most popular computer applications on your PC. I have VI friends in different organizations and they use JAWS so well to carry out all their tasks.
2. We started a community based Sign Language teaching sessions where we teach the basic sign language without charging any money.
3. I participated in disability sensitization programs to understand and spread the message of inclusion.
4. My good friend who is disabled has created a mobile app 'Billionables' and the idea is to create a database of all the accessible places in and around tour locality, city and country. Right now the database has more than thousands of entries and it is growing. Everyone can download and start spreading the message so that more and more places can be added which will help the disable community.
5. One of my another friend has started a organization which takes care of the travel needs of the disable community. It is named as 'Planetabled' and they make tailor made packages for disable people in India.
6. Another person has started a dating mobile app by the name 'Inclov: Find your right match' which focus on matching people with disabilities for dating and marriage.
There are many challenges in our country too and lot of like minded people are coming forward to make this world inclusive. Please share more such details which we can collate and start spreading around. Thank you.